Mario Giansone was born in Turin on 26 January, 1915.

In 1935, he graduated from Liceo Artistico in Turin. In the following years, he worked briefly as an assistant to Alberto Cibrario, a professor of anatomy from Accademia delle Belle Arti in Turin, as well as at the private studio of Michele Guerrisi, whilst attending his lectures in art history at the Accademia.

From 1946 to 1948, he taught Anatomy at the Free Academy of Fine Arts in Turin.

From 1956 to 1985, he worked at the State Art Institute of Turin, first teaching Plastic Arts (ornamental and figurative art), and then, from 1962, Life Drawing and Visual Education, also holding the position of Vice President of the Institute until 1975.

Throughout the 1950s, he exhibited his work at the Quadriennali in Turin and Rome with increasing success, as evidenced by the commissioning of Santa Cecilia for the RAI Auditorium of Turin and by his presence in several prestigious private collections. The Turin Civic Gallery of Modern Art itself purchased two of his sculptures. The 60s constituted Giansone's most intense and successful creative period. The publication of the monograph on the artist written by Giuseppe Marchiori – one of the greatest critics of the period – was followed in 1965 by a major exhibition of his work at the La Bussola Gallery of Turin.

In 1980, he won a national contest for the creation of a monumental work of art to which he had dedicated himself for two consecutive years.

In the following years, he devoted himself to the creation of a complex work, which he called "Opera Omnia," the first studies of which date back to 1978. When his physical vitality waned, he dedicated himself to painting on plywood panels.

He died in Turin on 8 January 1997.